Busting clutter is almost always the first recommendation from professional stagers. Why not have a yard sale to clear out the things you no longer use while earning some cash for your move? Follow these tips to help things go smoothly and maximize your profits.
1. Get the online word out: List your sale on the “Garage Sale” section of Kijiji and on any neighbourhood Facebook page groups. Include photos of your more interesting items to attract shoppers.
2. Sign up: Hit the dollar store for some neon poster board and thick markers. Then make big, legible signs to post at intersections near your home.
3. The more the merrier: Ask neighbours and friends if they want to sell their things too. Everybody has things they need to get rid of. People are more likely to stop and shop if they see a variety of items for sale.
4. Sell drinks: Enlist your cute kid (or your neighbour’s) to learn about economics with a lemonade or coffee stand. A hot or cold drink for a few cents can help lure people to stop and shop while they sip.
5. Plug in: If you’re selling appliances, have access to an outlet or an extension cord so people can test them out. Make sure to have some batteries on hand so shoppers can see if battery-operated items work as well.
6. Make it easy to find prices: The bigger the item, the bigger the price tag. Don’t make shoppers hunt around for tiny stickers on your couch or lawn mower.
7. Prep for checkout: Have lots of change and small bills on hand, as well as bags shoppers can use to carry home their new treasures.
Beyond decluttering, are you wondering what else you can do to make your home more attractive to buyers? As an experienced agent I can advise you on how to get the best price for your home. Call or text me any time (519)791-9545